January 24, 2011

I just called to say, "I love you."

*We're working on switching our blog and some posts were not published. Here's some from January. Enjoy!*

Today I am wearing my father's sweater. I always reach for it when I have a big project with a deadline or just feeling a little down. It immediately brings me a sense of comfort. The feel and color of it reminds me of his warm smile and his blue eyes.

This rather ordinary sweater carries the soothing memories of a dad that gave me a foundation of comfort and security.
As I write this, I smile to remember all the times he called our office during my work day.

In fact, almost everyday someone would yell . . . "Your dad's on the line."

Hi Dad, how are you doing? He'd tell me he was fine and some other random tidbit like; he'd just emptied the dishwasher. Or some disgusting, important senior fact like: he'd had a bowel movement. Ok, Dad that's good. Well, gotta keep working, thanks for calling. And then he'd say, "I just called to say, I love you." Ok, Dad, I love you, too.

Often I was rushed, distracted, and uh,uh,ok, ya, Dad. See you soon.

He passed away a couple years ago. I miss his calls.

So today, I wear his sweater and wrap up in his words.

No comments: