November 23, 2010

Thanks Giving

Wishing for you the joy of a Thankful Heart.
I am especially thankful for all of you who have ordered Comfort Silkie and shared the gift of comfort this past year. A zillion, trillion thanks to you.

Here is my recipe for joy while you are cooking up your Thanksgiving. Slow down, take a moment to breathe in the day. Take a comfort moment because the ingredients of life should be mixed slowly to produce the best finished product. Learn to have a thankful heart: by choosing to appreciate with gratefulness each tiny goodness life offers you.

This has been a difficult year for many people and yet we have so much to be thankful for. Last week I was feeling weary and decided to be thankful for the little things in my life. As Greg and I were leaving for a work day at Comfort Silkie I said, "I am at 52." Greg looks at me and says, "52 what?" I replied, "I have counted 52 things to be thankful for this morning." Pointing to my succulent garden in the front yard I announced, "53, and I have a car, so 54," and on it goes being thankful for things I take for granted everyday.

When our kids were little and they would start complaining I would begin the "Glad Game". It was a competition to think of as many things to be glad about as possible. A competition of any kind in a big family is a great distraction but the Glad Game always refocused our hearts.

As we gather with family and friends, think of the Mary Engelbreit poster that says "Let's put the fun back in dysfunction!" Smile, laugh, eat, and spend time enjoying the little differences and idiosyncrasies that make the people around you interesting. Appreciate the people in your life. The person sitting next to you may not be with you next year. Tell them today how thankful you are they are in your life.

I liked everything about last year's Thanksgiving blog so we thought we'd share it again this year.
I love Thanksgiving.
Gathering my family and enjoying a beautiful meal together makes me crazy grateful. I usually can’t contain myself so I break into song. My kids start to groan but they know I won’t stop until they join in. As a mom, I try to instill in them thankful hearts. Gratefulness is learned, not just in response to receiving, but a celebration of life. It is easy to become burdened with the day to day and forget to savor, yes savor, life’s moments.

Here are some of Troncone Thanksgiving traditions:
Five Kernels of Corn: When the table is set for the Thanksgiving meal every plate has 5 kernels of corn. They represent the Pilgrims struggle the year before the plenty and celebration of Thanksgiving. According to tradition, the Pilgrims suffered through a two year famine with a food ration of five kernels per day. When we compare the meal about to be served to the five kernels we can’t help but be thankful for our blessings.

Thankful Memories: Over the years I have had a Thanksgiving book that we pass and note our gratefulness. We pass the book, even writing for the small ones and letting them scribble their names. It is fun to look back and see, from old to young, the comments they made.


The Acorn Theory: An oak tree produces many acorns and those acorns produce more oak trees. At our family Thanksgiving it is tradition to pass the acorn and tell what each individual is thankful for. We also say one thing we are praying and hoping for this next year. Sharing each others joys and carrying each others burdens – it's what makes families strong.

For Stuffing Lovers: Yes, that is me. You must try this. When preparing your stuffing for the turkey: add chopped walnuts, apple bits, and golden raisins to the bread crumb recipe. Oh, so good!

Pumpkins Bars: I always make this yummy dessert during Thanksgiving. Chopped walnuts are a nice topping to the cream cheese frosting. You can double this recipe or make multiple batches and do up plates to bring to neighbors and friends. See recipe below.

Pumpkin Bar Recipe:
Oven 350
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten slightly
2 cups pumpkin

Combine in bowl in order given. Beat well. Spread on greased deep cookie sheet or 9x11 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 packages (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups powered sugar, sifted

Mix in bowl and beat with electric mixer. If necessary, add milk to make of spreading consistency.
Happy Thanksgiving,




Please share your thanksgiving traditions, favorite recipe or what you are thankful for with us....leave a comment below or on the Comfort Silkie facebook page. We look forward to hearing from you!

No comments: