February 28, 2011

Flu Comforts

What you have been comforted with, you can comfort others. I just went through 7 days of the flu . . . so now I will comfort you.

If you do not have the flu or do not plan on getting the flu, think of reading these tips for someone you know who is sick. Make up a comfort container and heal them with your love. Fill it with some things I mention and special goodies. Change the world, comfort -by- comfort.

I am OK with being sick - for the first day. Kinda like, this will be a nice rest. And after all, I am sick, maybe watch a movie, catch up on a few things. I'll bounce back tomorrow. But as the flu got worse and I got sicker I realized I am going to be down and out for much longer. So by the 4th day I am crying and moaning and saying "I am sicccck." No one can really hear me because I am sequestered in my room so no one else will get the bug. I wonder if maybe I am dying. I think maybe the combination of comfort flu meds that I am taking to get sleep are making me delusional. I begin to reflect on every bad thought I 've ever had about anyone and start to forgive them to free myself of any emotional toxins. I WANT TO BE WELL. Then to calm myself , I think about all the people that are dealing with life threatening, on-going diseases. I think about how much I admire them and how they cope and ... thank God that this is only the flu.

So here are my flu comfort tips:

Warning: the following may be interrupted with messages of germ phobia in italic.

Get a plastic container to keep all your comfort items close at hand. Use something that is washable, as it will get germy
Here are somethings to put in your container: 1. Kleenex box - the lotion kleenex soothes the nose. Also available with Vicks - wow kleenex has come a long ways. 2. Lip balm in a tube. Stay away from ones you have to stick your finger in and fill up with germs. 3. Roll of paper towels, soft absorbent ones. 4. Water bottle 5. Germicidal Hand Santitizer - get the pump one to you don't have to touch it 6. Medicines 7. Healthy snacks 8. Magazines - throw these way or the next person who reads it will be sick. (My surfer hubby brought me two magazines the first day in the hopes, that having a moment to actually read the gossip mags, would cure me... Sorry honey, see you in 6 days.) 9. Trash bag for all the disgusting snotty tissues.
My favorite flu comforts: Here are some other things I found healing.

Tea Tree Oil. This a wonderful for the sinus and lungs. Use it in steam or inside a mask. Breathe in deep and of course be careful if you are using steam.

Emergen-C. Little packets of vitamins 1,000 C, 24 nutrients and antioxidanta, electrolytes, 7 B vitamins. Dissolves easy and taste fine.



And my Comfort Silkie favorites:All Silkie Throw. I can't sleep without mine.
Triple Hot/Cold Pack. Really helps ease the aches. These are washable and just the comfort you need. Especially when you can't snuggle up to anyone without giving them GERMS.

Healing Comforts:

Back to the Tea Tree Oil ... put a few drops inside the mask and breathe in the healing.

Comfort Eat: When you are healing eat things with only ONE ingredient. In other words fruits and veggies.

Comfort Drink: My favorite healing tea. Guayaki Yerba Mate with 24 vitamins and minerals, 15 amino acids and antioxidants. Lots of yummy favors, organic from South America Rain Forest. And of course, drink lots of water to flush all those germs out.

Important: If you rent a movie, use hand santitizer before and after. EVERYONE who is sick rents movies.

To protect others: When I ventured out of my room I wore a mask and rubber gloves. Sound, over the top? Well, not if you are the mom of a large family. It you spread those germs, you will not get to leave the house for months, as this stuff seems to last forever. It will travel from person to person and you will be taking care of everyone forever.
I found coughing into the mask was very convenient rather that grabbing tissue and snotting around with it. I looked bizarre but I think it really helped. Everyone stayed away from me.
You can get 100 masks in a box a the drug store for $8. Hmmm ...I am going to have to figure out some craft to make with the germ masks.

Comment with: craft ideas, or your favorite Comfort Silkie products and your favorite comfort tips.

So dear friends, I wish you wellness.
Comfort yourself and be the comfort.

1 comment:

D clan 5 said...

My husband was sick with the flu recently - and the first day he had chills really bad... three blankets didn't even warm him up, but your triple hot/cold pack did the trick and soothed him completely! :) I'm so glad we have that product! Thanks!