June 22, 2011

Learning Birth Comforts and Joy

Can women enjoy their birth experience? Can a man really help a woman in labor? Can birth be drug free? As a Childbirth Educator, Doula and Comfort Therapist, I have had the privilege of being at over 200 births. I started to teach couples the power of birthing comfort techniques over 30 years ago. I was a young mommy myself and my own experience had taught me the miraculous power of my own body.

I believed, grabbed on to, and leaned into the truth that this is my body, my baby, my birth – six times. To my advantage I had an awesome coach/hubby that took his training and position of comforter very serious. He even ended up delivering our second baby all by himself (Ok, I was there too and helped some) because our son came early and in 11.5 minutes! Yes, 11.5 minutes, with a previous labor of 33 hours, and a third birth that was 12 hours, oh wow, barn burner labor. The wonder of it all! Every baby has their own miracle birth story.

It is magical to watch a couple work together in labor. Most people never get to see this or experience it because the majority of couples have no idea how to work together during birth. Even if they attend birth preparation classes most couples do not learn techniques that empower them to efficiently work through the birth process. Yet, these moments, working together towards the birth of their baby, can be the most rewarding, memorable, and create deep ties of love.

I tell couples that out of their intimacy and love this baby was created and out of their intimacy and love they can birth their baby. I share with them empowering comfort techniques: deep comfort relaxation, comfort breathing, comfort imagery, comfort words, comfort touch, and the comfort of understanding the birth process.

I teach Moms how to trust their bodies. I teach Dads information and techniques that the male brain can use. Once men have the “tools” they need to be compassionate and comforting, they do an amazing job. It is so rewarding to watch the Dads transform from uncertain, underpowered, and unknowing to equipped, powerful, loving, comforting partners. His love and compassion has been clinically proven to be as powerful as a narotic for pain relief.

When you teach a couple how to really work together during one of the most demanding physical and emotional times in their life they learn skills they will use forever. Birth is about having a baby, but much more is going on. This is a time when couples can be taught the dance of love, support and comfort. This is the birth of a family.

It is a gift and a treasure to empower and educate couples at this truly precious time in their life. “Babies … what a nice way to start people.”

For more information about doula services and classes please email info@jeanelletroncone.com or visit http://www.birthandbabycomforts.com/

1 comment:

The Whites said...

You are amazing Jeanelle! You are the best teacher and doula this world has to offer. Thank you for everything you did at our birth and it will forever be one of the best days of our lives because you made it picture perfect. Thank you, Thank you!!